Today's Random Act of Video.....

Im feeling this Timbaland Drake collabo right now..hope you are too :o) as well as the new Monica joint..her style in this video is killing the game... enjoy!

Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Measure of a (wo)man

Webster's dictionary defines growth as...No seriously this isnt one of those kind of blogs :o) but the concept of growth is really on my mind today. Not the kind that implies a physical change but rather an internal /emotional change that hopefully we all experience (or have experienced) by the time we're 'grown'. Im speaking of the kind of growth that is demonstrated when youre able to: admit that youre wrong, confess that you actually dont know the answer to something or can be satisfied with being your true self, unapologetically, despite what others might think or say. THAT is what being grown is all about. Its not about just getting older, but wiser and despite popular belief it has absolutely nothing to do with the number of figures in your bank account, the kind of car you drive, or where you receive your mail. Its the growth of your spirit and your increased wisdom that truly adds value to your life. If you cant look back and honestly say (as Im proud to say I now can), "Dang I cant believe I USED to be that way" about any aspect of your life...its time for some self-reflection...Because either youre just as jaded and immature as you were in your former years...or youre crazy enough to actually belive that youve already grown as much as you need to by this point...which is decidedly worse..Personally Ive had to come to terms with the fact of any of my flaws, one of the most troublesome is that I have MAD attitude..which is a double edged sword..In my best case it says 'im confident and no nonsense' but in my worst it says, 'im feeling insecure right now so to play it safe Im gonna let you have it just in case'...and it took a great level of maturity and yes, growth for me to realize that about myself and try to make some changes. Admittedly Im still a work in progress but hey, acknowledging is half the battle right?? In talking to my friend today I realized that with him in particular I tended to be more combative because I was so focused on him being the way I felt he should be..I lost sight of the fact that he is his own person...who took years to come be, just as I did...so I have to learn to pick my battles with him. But I have to give him credit, he was very open with his communication with me which I appreciate on so many levels. Sometimes the most profound thing we can do as people is communicate..and by that I mean LISTEN as well as talk. That kind of growth comes from a special mix of humility and maturity that Im still trying to master. While we were talking he made a comment about measuring growth the way many parents do with small children: up against the wall with the obvious black line of a Sharpie. That was a particularly profound analogy because it demonstrates how powerful it is to be able to look back and actually see your growth over time. Well I dont have a Sharpie to mark my growth but I can honestly say that I can see how that little girl from Pattonville circa 1995...has come full circle to become a GROWN woman in 2007. Im so glad that I can do that now...Here's to adding another line to the wall..
"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."
Anatole France (1844-1924) French writer.

No comments: